sun roof problems

I have a 1996 318ti with a sun roof that won't open.  I push the button and
sometimes the back end will lift out as if to vent air.  But it will not open
the sun roof.  The inside liner slides half way back and stops.  Sometimes the
switch works and other times it doesn't.  BMW dealer thinks the roof is off
track.  Is this a major repair and what or how can I fix it myself.  He
doesn't think its in the switch because it starts to open.

Thoughts?  Thanks!
K.