Re: How do I repair a broken front swaybar mounts? (E-30)

I had this same problem Chris - and found that there's one real solution,
and a second _possible_ solution.

The sway bar mounts are basically eyelets on the front lower subframe (to
which shackles attach to hold your swaybar in position), which is sort of
the central portion of your entire front suspension. The correct solution
is to replace the subframe assembly, which means disassembling nearly the
entire front suspension. It isn't generally hard to do, it's just long
and tedious.

When I first checked with my local dealer, they quoted something on the
order of $600+ for the subframe, and another $600-$900 for the labor.

The other alternative *might* be to find someone who will spot weld a
working mount in place. This really isn't a good solution, however, and
is nothing more than a make-do that shouldn't be done in the first place.

As it happens, my car ended up getting flooded before I got around to
replacing the subframe (thank you Mr. Insurance Company). But if you're
interested, I HAVE a replacement front subframe siting in my storage
room, if you're going to tackle the job yourself.

Regards,
Drew

It appears that on 8/7/01 8:29 PM, Chris LaMothe at clamothe@domain.elided
said:

>I have an 89 325i.  How do I repair broken front sway
>bar mounts?
>
>TIA

End of bmw-digest V9 #1879