Dead battery/key/kill switch? '99 528i

Gentlefolk,

The dilemma: after moving the car about 30 feet and turning it off and
locking it, I needed to move it again about 2 minutes later.  When I
tried to start the car it was dead.  Could not even open the trunk with
the electronic key.  Called BMW roadside service, they tried to charge
the car thinking it was a dead battery.  Car would not start, no lights,
clock, nothing, but alarm suddenly went off and after about 30 seconds
shut off with key.  Car still dead, towed to dealer.  Next morning
dealer starts car right up and can find no fault codes. Dealer said it
is possible that the chip in the key is going bad, but without fault
code they can't replace it under the warranty.   I tried explaining that
even though the code didn't register, they knew the car had died, but
they insist on fault codes. I'm rather skeptical that something like
this can happen and no fault code registers, but I have nothing to argue
my point with except women's intuition.  Has anyone had this happen to
them?  Any suggestions?

/Lorraine

[demime 0.97b removed an attachment of type text/x-vcard which had a name of lcarango.vcf]