Problem with Fuel Pump?

Hi all...well I have a 92 325i and it just wouldn't start the other day when
my wife drove home.  It sat for not even 10 minutes.  Well after about 1 hour
of checking the fuses, wiring harnesses etc.  I checked the plugs...dry...it
was cranking over but the plugs were dry as a bone..thus I figured no fuel.
Well went into the tank under the back seat...pulled out the fuel pump and
hooked it up to 12 volts.  at first it didn't want to work..so I tapped it a
bit with a small mallet...then it spun to life and gas came out along with
it.  Now I put it back into the tank...worked fine for about 1 day. Think
it's time for a new fuel pump? I'm going to order one on Mon. the local auto
parts store quoted me $400...but I found a bosch one online for about $210
shipped overnight.  That sound reasonable?? Does anyboyd know if it comes
with the screen pocket connected to the bottom part of the pump??? No
disrespect to the people who run this list (which is phenomenal) but I had
ordered something from them a while back...and never received anything not
even an email as to what happened to my order thus, I am hesitant to order
from them again. Anyhow any insight or do's and don'ts to putting the fuel
pump back in...please email.  I am a little concerned about the wiring
connections in the tank.  I crimped them with some butt connectors I had.  If
anyone knows if that is ok...then cool..just let me know...thanx.

Sincerely,
Demetri - drdemet5@domain.elided

Dr. Demetrios Matsoukas