Replacement cat for '88 528e

> I should get my estimate tomorrow from the dealer to fix/replace a
> shot catalytic converter on my 88 528e (314,000 miles).  The only
> words he used to describe the costs today on the phone were "BIG
> BUCKS".  Can someone put a dollar figure with that for me?
>
> The car is in great condition, but wouldn't pass the state emissions
> test yesterday...
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated!
>
> Mike Casteel

I had mine replaced about a year ago ('85 528e, had about 200k mi on
it then) because it developed a hole.

Local shop did the work.  BMW parts quoted about $1700 (as I recall)
for a new one.

Shop found a rebuilt for "only" about $450.  I pass emissions test.

Recommend looking for a rebuilt one.

All the best,

Larry Swain