[E28] A/C restriction

My BMW seems to have a blockage somewhere in the A/C system.  I attached a
set of manifold gauges and got too much pressure (I don't recall numbers) on
the high side, and slightly negative pressure on the low side.  This seems
to indicate a blockage in the system, most likely the expansion valve,
correct?

Where is this located?  Is it behind the center console/lower dash, where
the stereo and climate controls are mounted?  I dug around yesterday and
took out the glove box, and I didn't run across anything that looked very
promising.

I'm thinking of just tapping on the valve with a wrench to see if I can
dislodge whatever is clogging it.  Is there any way to run the compressor
backwards to reverse the flow of refrigerant and blow it out that way, in
hopes that the piece of debris will reorient itself and make it through the
valve and get trapped in the receiver/dryer?

Or is this all crazy talk?

Thanks in advance...

Aaron
'87 528e