Creaky steering

My E28 creaks badly when turning.  It's especially noticeable when in
parking lots, etc., where I am typically turning the wheel quite a bit more,
and more quickly.  Someone told me it's probably dry ball joints, and that I
could install grease fittings without much risk of damage by getting
self-tapping fittings and just drilling a hole up from the bottom of the
ball joint.  He said the drill would do a good job of removing most of the
chips so they wouldn't be likely to trash the joint.  I'm ready to do this,
because I think if I don't, I'll probably wear them out prematurely anyway.

What is the list wisdom on this one?

BTW, this is unrelated, but power window switches miraculously start working
after you take them apart and remove the green crud on the contacts.  Guess
what I did yesterday...

Thanks in advance.
Aaron
'87 528e