1998 528i 4 speed automatic concerns

I just purchased a 1998 528i with the 4 speed automatic.  The car has 41000
miles and has had all scheduled maintenance done.  It is a certified car with
8 months left on the warranty and 2 additional years under the extended plan.
Under moderate load, I am noticing a rough shift in the transmission from 2nd
to 3rd.  I would describe it as the transmission drops into 3rd abruptly.

The 1st to 2nd shift is noticable but not abnormal, the 3rd to 4th shift is
seamless.

I am having the dealer look at it later this week.  But wanted to know if
anyone has experienced this and what the solution could be.  I hope it is
something to do with the electronics to the transmission and it is no more
than a remapping of that part of the program.  Hope there is no need to tear
the transmission apart.

Thanks..Chris Osborne
Ashburn, VA
BMWCCA #92573