88 735i Head gasket repair

Put a new head gasket in the old 735i this week.. Pulled it found a blown
gasket.. Machine shop checked it out, cleaned it, and pronounced it too
tight to do anything to!  $100.00- for cleaning and vac check.
$200 for gaskets..What do you think three days of my time is worth(no
comments from the peanut gallery please).
Anyway..put it all back together..him no run good. Idle like s***!   Felt
like an ignition problem..could't see an obvious spark plug  or wire
problem..new cap and rotor...convinced myself there was a " one tooth off "
timing chain problem..Book sez timing bolts "vertical"  I thought this means
parrallel to engine centerline..so that was how I set it..no marks on the
big six cam schprocket!  Both Bentley and Haynes say "vertical..Well boys
and girls..these Bimmers are "Slant Sixes" ..and Vertical with the engine in
the car is a few teeth to the right of vertical when you line up with engine
centerline....

So I sez.."okay, I'll try to see if "Vertical" works"..Take it all
apart..Remove timing chain sprocket..guess what..there is no WAY the valves
and the pistons are not going to hit each other with the Bolts "vertical.."
That was an extra 4 hours work..

The book only applies if you have the engine on an engine stand..with the
centerline of the engine perpendicular to the floor!!  Both books are
wrong..!!

So I put it all back together.( exactly the way I had it in the first
place).and when I look  REAL close at one of the plugs (probly the one I
dropped while back)  I notice that the center electrode insulator is broken,
and when you turn the plug over..The insulator slides down over the gap!!!
How that for a mystery problem.  The mysterious disappearing gap!!

The good side of this time wasting exercise was that the # six cyl head
bolts took about 10 lbs more torque after the hot run/retorque, and I set
all the valves a little looser , found the ignition /plug problem, replaced
my A/C condenser, fixed a leaky hose, and recharged with R134..an evil "drop
in recharge":... Changed nothing..my compresser is an r-12 unit..the logic
being that if it doesn't last, I'll be replacing the compressor anyway.
Seems to blow almost as cold as the R-12..and I didn't lose $250.00 worth of
freon to find the leak.  By the way, Zygmunt, In PA has the best pricing on
A/C condensers..$179.00

The windshield has 0 deductible, and it was cracked, so that  was replaced
in my driveway by a glass service.

I have a new Aux fan from auto zone on the new condenser,  a new radiator,
new waterpump, new head gasket, dist cap and rotor, and a good running
sled..total cost for all this madness was about $1400.00 in parts...

By the way,  my buddy, the dealer mechanic(who I saw in a strip joint, and
invested $20.00 in a "floor dance" with one of the strippers for..)  (Ally
for life now!..Money well spent), pointed out that if you leave the intake
manifold in the car..there are about 20 things that don't have to be
disconnected..major time savings..The Fuel injection, the throttle and shift
and cruise cables,  assorted wiring harnesses, and the head is a lot easier
to lift!

The conundrum is that I should sell the old girl now that she has 225k on
her..but now she's fixed..how can I sell her!

Dave Leonard
Now if I could just find the short in the power windows of the 325IC.(91
e30).takes out a 30 amp fuse..but so intermittent..about every two
months..anyone have any ideas?

Some day I'm gonna buy a new car, and stop all this juvenile hot rod repair!