Re: E36 Auto Tranny failure at 56K miles -- Any thoughts?

D.E._law@domain.elided wrote:

> My understanding is that there is no way to change fluid in these sealed
> trannys.  Am I missing something besides common sense?

Haven't done it myself (yet), but from what I understand, it's done by
vacuuming the fluid out and filling it from underneath the car, rather
than the way you'd do it on a "normal" auto trans. There's still a drain
and fill plug for the GM trans, it's just not up top. Sorta like those
"Warning! No User Serviceable Parts Inside!" stickers. :)

There seems to be a lot of debate as to whether this is a good idea or
not, though. I'll let you know if I hear some more about it.

- --shawn

- --

s h a w n   m o y e r
shawn@domain.elided