Clunk noise in door or column

My problem:  1999 528i - when going over an uneven roadway or a
swaill/hump in the road, there is a very annoying "clunk" in the
driver's side area between the door lock and the column.  It has
recently ( last approx. 1500 miles) started to make this noise coming
from the passenger's side.   It is less likely to make this sound
(perhaps one just can't hear it) when going over hard rough roadway.  It
is more subtle, seeming to be disturbed when the car is uneven or the
driver's side rear wheel is higher or lower than the front wheel.    It
sounds like it is either in the door or in the column. It sounds like
something (?) is falling forward or backward or vise versa.  BMW service
(5+ times) has not been able to diagnose the problem, hence it hasn't
been fixed..

If one rests their arm on the armrest with their elbow near the logo for
the airbag, one can actually "feel" something moving when the "clunk"
happens. This "clunk" is very irreverent and after  41,000 miles
(drivers side clunk), I've yet to figure out what exact situation will
make it do it consistently.

Driving me crazy enough to want to trade it.

Again thank you if you have any idea what might be causing this or you
know where I might find an answer.

Lorraine Carango
908 -282-5395 ph
lcarango@domain.elided