Problems with climate control!

Hi all!

I have some troubles with the climate control in my 323 E36.
Some times the control panel is blacked out and the fan is
dead, then it suddenly wakes up again and can be working
for a long time. This problem keep coming every now and
then. Some times the control can be "dead" for some day
before it wakes up again. The strangest thing is when it is
stuck somewhere between working mode and "dead" mode.
The small lamps in the control buttoms are on but there is
only a weak light on the "screen". In this mode the climate
control works, but I can't change its settings.
Have anyone seen this problem before? I think there is some
trouble with the connections on the back side of the
climate control, but I don't know how to reach those cables.
can I reach them if I take the glove compartment away?
The car is fitted with a passenger air bag.
I hope that some one can help me.
Best regards
Gurra