Preventative Maintenance

    My 92 525i is closing on 90k miles.

    I saw a response to a letter to Tech Talk in the most recent issue of
the Roundel about a starting problem a reader was experiencing with his 1985
325e, in which Mike Miller, who writes Tech Talk, recommended the the main
relay, the fuel pump relay, and to a certain extent, the fuel pump itself
all as good preventative maintenance items.

    One thing I was going to have replaced at my next oil change is the
water pump as mine still has the model with the plastic impeller.  My
mechanic admits to having changed a few of these but also noted that if you
don't routinely drive the rpms up into the 4,000 plus range, those plastic
impellers will probably be OK, but didn't argue with my intention to replace
it late this year.

    My question is:  what else would readers recommend I replace if I intend
to keep the car for another five years, at least?

    Many thanks,
    Seeker