E30 Wiper Problem

Guys:
Just had my wipers stop today while raining. Torn down the front end per
Bentley and unable to get the old assembly out. I think Bentley does not
know what they are talking about on this one. They state to remove the
entire assembly with motor attached. I would sure like to know how?? I found
out that what happened was the friction cup that fits into the left wiper
cam came out due to age most likely. I will test later but what a dirty job.
I plan to vacuum out as much old dirt and grime as possible from the blower
motor assembly.
Am I off base thinking I can get a new friction cup and replace the old one,
press the wiper cam arm back in and be good to go?
thanks
Brad Purvis