early 95 M3A recommendations

A friend of mine is thinking of buying an early 95 M3 automatic.  I
tried talking him into a 5 speed, but due to a recent auto accident,
shifting a 5 speed on a daily basis would aggravate his back.

Are there any problems in particular with these models?  What should he
look out for?  How do the transmissions hold up?  In regards to the
early 95 M3s, I thought I remembered hearing something about problems
with the valves on early M3s.  Or was it the suspension?  Is this a
myth?

Any thoughts on this purchase would be greatly appreciated.  My friend,
a long time Ford fan, is finally making a move in the right direction.
I don't want this purchase to be something that he (and I) will regret.

Thanks,
Eric Hunt
87 325ic