RE: 2ND TRY *** Transmission hard to shift --> OIL??

Another data point...

My '85 E30 318i has had Redline MTL in the transmission since it was about
20k miles old.  I changed the oil once per year (every 25k miles).

The car is now 16 years old, and has 254k miles on it, and the transmission
is still fine.

The only drivetrain problems that I've had with the E30 are related to the
clutch release bearing and clutch fork.  The bearing has two flat sides
which keep it from rotating in the clutch fork.  Over time, the bearing
flats will wear and allow the bearing to rotate in the fork, causing it to
drag on the input shaft of the transmission, making gear changes harder,
especially when sitting at a stop light and trying to engage first gear.

- -rb