RE: [uuc] need help shopping for Toyo RA1

First of all thanks to Thomas Philip, Gary Krumian, Steve Hudson, Sean Smith
and Mark Wiliams for the leads.
Some folks mentioned getting 235 RA1s for around $165, but I suspect that
was for the old 235/45/17 tires. For 235/40/17 RA1s are a lot harder to find
and apparently only one warehouse in CA and a couple on the east coast have
them. I got quotes ranging from $175 to $252 per tire. The best price I
could get on the new correct size 235/40/17 is $175 from www.treadepot.com
The second best Toyo quote was from www.onlinetires.com Unlike tirerack.com
(which doesn't carry Toyo's), the online tire menu of these two sites is
incomplete, so you would have to pick up a phone and call them up for a
quote.
Our SCCA patronized local Discount Tire store could only go down to
$185/per. After taking into account the cost of shipping and
mounting/balancing markups for bringing your own tires to the table, it
ended up being cheaper for me to buy them from DT. After taxes, lifetime
balancing and 032R disposal fees I should have everything installed for
around $850.

YMMV,
alex f