RE: E30 4 Cylinder Running Problem

Here is my current problem on an '85 318i.  After using a citrus degreaser
on the entire engine compartment, the engine has correct fast idle speed
and will idle at its correct speed all day long, but once you either try to
rev the engine up above fast idle speed while in neutral and parked or you
try to drive the car and try to accelerate, the engine speed
rolls.........sounds like either a spark or fuel problem.  All electrical
connections have been dried and blown out with air.  All ignition
components seem to check ok with volt/ohm meter.  Fuel pump relay is ok.
Question, have I overlooked something very obvious or has something decided
to take a dumb at this particular time leaving me to believe that washing
the engine and compartment is the culprit?  I'm leaning towards either the
fuel pressure regulator or the fuel pump since it seems to be running out
of fuel once the throttle is opened more than fast idle speed.  Any
opinions on the source of this problem are welcome as it has me frustrated
and probably not thinking clearly (of course going to school full time and
having major exams several times a week also clouds my thinking right now
when it comes to the car(s) as I am preoccupied with school studies).
Thanks in advance to those on the list and responses can either be posted
on the list or sent directly to me at:  ToMoyer@domain.elided.