RE: e 30 driver door lock

DLMRUN2002@domain.elided [mailto:DLMRUN2002@domain.elided] wrote:

> I recently purchases  a 325 iX. The previous owner replaced the
> drivers door lock..thus I have to sets of keys which is a pain
> in the butt. Can I get the replacement door lock reconfigured and
> do it myself or do I need a locksmith or BMW to match ignition and
> passenger locks ?

Yes you can!
All $30 lock cylinder rebuild kits come with new internal lock cylinder
parts _and_ new tumblers. All you have to do is write down the #s of the
tumblers in the old lock and insert the new ones back in the same sequence.
The only way your PO could have screwed this up is by either paying a lazy
dealer to do or installing a complete lock cylinder from another car. To
correct for this you will now need to take the passenger side lock cylinder
out to write down the correct tumbler sequence, then take out the driver
side cylinder and re-code it.
Theoretically you could ask the dealer to order a new pre-coded driver lock
cylinder for your door but I don't think BMW sells coded cylinders.

good luck and feel free to drop me a line if you need help re-keying the
cylinder,
alex f