[E36] Tie Rod Replacement

I am halfway into a total suspension overhaul of my '94 325 is and I've
hit a snag with the tie rods.  Any advice from others who have
experience with their removal and installation is appreciated.

The inner tie rod end (the end that attaches to the steering rack) has a
large (32 mm I think) wrenching surface with very short flats.  A normal
sized wrench is too thick.  The Bentley manual calls for a special BMW
tool (really a thin wrench that resembles a "crow foot" wrench).  I
haven't started to look around for a Snap-On or Matco dealer, but that
is where I'm being steered right now.  What are my other options?  I
could buy a Craftsman wrench and grind it to the right thickness.  Any
other ideas?

Behind this piece sits a flat washer, it's a lock plate.  On the car
this part is bent over to trap the nut.  The replacement part I have is
flat and other than a tang at the inner diameter, it shows no creases or
folds for bending to resemble the original part.  Do I have a bad part
or is this an optional step that also may require special tools?

I started this job expecting it to be a two weekend affair.  So far I'm
still within that window, though it has gotten a bit more involved than
I thought.  I'm still enthused and hopefully saving a bundle in the
process, especially if I can get my Sport shocks replaced by Bilstein's
lifetime warranty.  I have been following in the footsteps of Butch
Berney who a few weeks ago posted a very thorough primer on upgrading
the E36 suspension to M-3 "like" standards.  When done I will have new
struts, strut bearings (M3), control arms & bushings, tie rods, rear
shocks and shock mounts (M3).  The goal is to bring back the wonderful
handling this car used to have.  Maybe by Monday???

TIA to my fellow shady tree DIY mechanics.

Peter Rossato
'94 325is, that was lowered but now sits on four jack stands and is
higher than an SUV