RE: E30 Emissions

Tom writes:

> [...]

Tom,

While I agree that a damaged catalytic converter can cause emission
problems, or it can clog up or plug the exhaust system, a crumbling
catalytic converter will NOT damage an O2 sensor on an E30.  The O2 sensor
is located UPSTREAM from the catalytic converter.

Any loose particles from the catalytic converter will be blown through the
muffler and eventually out of the exhaust pipe.

On a later car, equipped with OBD II and O2 sensors on both sides of the
catalytic converter, it may be a different story.

- -rb