RE: 325i Conv. Buying Opportunity

Ted Verrill [mailto:ted@domain.elided] wrote:

> Recently returned from a long absence :)  I am considering buying
> a 1991 325i Convertible and would appreciate any input or opinions.
> It has 54,000 miles (checked with Carfax), second owner (first owner
> sold in 1999 with only 26,000 miles backed up by all BMW service
> records), perfect body, leather in OK shape with fading and some
> scuffs, excellent top, new tires.
> It is an automatic and has heated seats.  It has had all BMW service
> by dealers including the recent big service.  Only thing that is not
> working is the outside temp sensor ($59 estimate from local BMW dealer.)
>
> I've had a shop check it with a big thumbs up and was wondering if
> $11,500 was a good price?  Anything I should look for that I might
> have missed?

Ted,
Congratulations on your find. Low mileage E30s are getting rare.
The only thing I would mention is that being a slush box E30 it comes with a
self destructing 4HP22 transmission. Given proper service, the transmission
might last past 100K miles. However, if the previous owners neglected to
change the transmission fluid/filter the gunk has started building inside
the tranny and no amount of flushing will get it out. So do yourself a big
favor make sure there is a documented automatic transmission service
somewhere in the car's paperwork.
Also check the usual E30 issues (rust, bushings wear, etc) that should be
documented on one of the following sites:
www.eskimo.com/~dalus/bmw/bmw_e30.html
www.neilwerke.com
http://forums.roadfly.com/e30/messages/

Other than being an automatic, this car sounds like a great find!

alex f