RE: E36 Brakes

Peter [mailto:f1_rennsport@domain.elided] wrote:

> Recently replaced the brakes (rotors and pads) on my E30 and
> offered to help a friend with her E36 which is in need (brake
> sensor light came on).  I don't have a manual but wanted to
> know whether replacing the rotors and pads (front) is as
> straight forward on a '97 E36 (auto) as it is on the E30.

E36 brakes are actually easier than E30 if for no other reason than front
and rear calipers are identical in design. 14?mm hex bit will unbolt the
caliper, remove old pads, insert new pads, push the caliper piston in, bolt
everything back up. Should take you about 30 minutes per wheel, 20 of them
spent jacking up the car and removing/re-installing the wheel.
A '97 car should have ~50K miles on it. Chances are the rotors are still OK
up front, most likely fine in the back.
If your friend hate the brake dust as much as my wife does, consider
MetalMaster or Hawk HPS pads. Poterfield R4S pads might also be in the
running, though those are quiet a bit more expensive.

> Any advice or links to refer to would be helpful.  Dealer
> insisted on replacement of all four corners - $900+ for all
> corners, sight unseen. Worth some elbow grease wouldn't ya think???

Wow, even local TX dealers don't dare to charge more than $300/axle. You
must be somewhere on the west coast ;-)

alex f