<E30> Quirky fuel gauge

Dear Members,

I have an interesting problem with the fuel gauge on my 1987 325IC.
It gets stuck on "full" when I start the car.  Sometimes tapping on the
front of the dial (in true Hollywood style :-) brings it to the correct
level, and sometimes it drops to the correct level on its own after driving
for a while. Like all good problems, it's intermittent.

Here's the quirk though...  If I press, and hold down the trip milometer
reset button (the mechanical one, not the OC), the fuel gauge shows the
correct level! When I release it, the needle springs back to "full"
again.  Weird eh?

Actually I won't be too disappointed if no-one offers a solution (other
than "replace X, X and X at a cost of $$$"), I just thought it was an
interesting problem.
In theory I could 'fix' the gauge by jamming down the trip milometer reset
button: something I might have to do if the problem becomes continuous.
Indeed, this trick might help other people with similarly jammed fuel gauges.

Happy Motoring
Dan