Car Smoking!

Today, I found the strangest problem on my '89 325iX.  For months, my wife
has been telling me she see's smoke coming from the engine compartment.
Each time, I go for a test run, check the engine and find nothing.  Today,
finally she tells me exactly where the smoke is coming from - the windshield
washer nozzle!  Weirdest thing.  There's white smoke wafting from one of the
nozzles on the driver's side.

Anyone else seen that?

I checked my Bentley's and it doesn't give any detail on the washer system
so I tried to pull the tube out of the nozzle but out came this little
electrical dohickey.  What the hell is that?  Looks like some kind of relay.
Seems unnecessarily complicated.  You'd think you have a bottle, a pump and
two nozzles but the BMW system has all kinds of wires and relays.

Ah, then a check with my new favourite parts site - www.thepartsbin.com
shows me that the nozzle is heated!  Ah hah!  That's what's burned out.
Anyways, I have the part on order but I'm wondering does it just pull out
(from the inside of the hood) with a reasonable amout of force or did I
break the thing?