Re: Mobil 1 for an M5

> Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 12:12:12 -0400
> From: "Alex Montoya" <montoya@domain.elided>
> Subject: mobil 1 question
>
> i bought my m5 about 3 weeks ago. I am going to do the oil change. Should
> switch to mobil 1, and if so why?
> what are the benefits and differences, besides the price per quart. Also
> what thickness should i use.
>
> thanks
>
> alex
>
> 88 M5

If the car wasn't running Mobil 1 before, don't switch to it now.
This is because the synthetic is slipperier, and will work it's way
between the gaskets on the motor, and you'll start 'peeing' oil.
I had a friend who bought a used (e34) 535, switched to Mobil
1, had this problem, switched back and the problem went away.
The gaskets get 'used' to regular oil, and can't handle the Mobil 1.
Otoh, if it's always had Mobil 1 in it, then the gaskets are fine.

- --alex

85 Euro M5