throttle cable adjustments

when i hit my gas pedal I get a delayed response(flat spot), when it does
kick in the car lurches forward and i do mean lurch. it happens almost each
and evertime i pull off(1st gear of course). I was looking under the hood
one day and noticed that the throttle cables had a thumb adjustment knob on
both cables looks like they can be turned to tighten or loosen tension on
the throttle cables which seem to have a little slack to them i also saw
that there were to mechanical stops one top and one bottom(lock screws). I
also moved the throttle with my hand just to see if i could determine when
it kicks in and noticed that i would have to move it a little ways before
the engine would start to rev(which seemed to say there is a flat spot). is
this something i can play with and adjust until i get the desired response
or is this something that should not be tampered with?
TIA

Paul
'95 M3