[e36] Pinging problem - update

A couple weeks ago I posted about a pinging problem in my 94 325i.  I
took it into an independent mechanic specializing in BMWs and they said
that the spark plugs looked bad.  I told them that I recently replaced
the plugs about 10k miles ago, but figured maybe I got a bad set of
plugs, so I took the car back and replaced the plugs myself.  The
pinging didn't go away.  While replacing the plugs, I noticed oil in two
of the spark plug chambers, dripping down from the valve cover gasket
and collecting at the bottom where the spark plugs are screwed in.  I
asked the mechanic if a leaking valve cover gasket could cause the
pinging and he said he didn't think so, but I don't agree with him.  My
theory is that oil is slowly seeping into the chambers and over time has
gummed up the cylinder walls, increasing the compression and causing the
pinging.  If I get the valve cover gasket replaced, can I expect the
pinging to go away?  Will I need to have the engine cleaned out of any
deposits to get rid of the pinging?

Thanks for any suggestions,
Jason (worried that he has a big problem on his hands..)