Shop rates was Reliability and buying old vs. new

Conrad,

Not sure what spanner work is but yes here in the US shop rates are $70/hour
in the metropolitan areas.  Not just for BMW but also Honda, Toyota, VW,
Audi.  Domestic rates are not much cheaper.  Independent shops can be
cheaper but not by much in the same metro areas.

Keep in mind that you can't compare $70/hour in the US to your Australian
dollars.  It would seem like we are paying 144 AUD by your standards.
That's like me comparing the USD against the pound.  IIRC, rates in London
are 65 GPB which would be $94 or 190 AUD. Yes, does sound steep but its
really not a fair assessment.

And as for what we use in India, it is the Indian Rupee not the Pesos.

t.