heater in and out...

Any thoughts apreciated...

The heater in my 1988 528e runs like my boss... hot and cold.  I did notice a
weird little smell for a time.  Wasn't sure if it was exhaust or electrical
component burning, particularly as my muffler shed a layer recently an I've
noticed a crack or two in the rubber -- "firewall"? -- in the back of the
engine compartment.

Is it possible I merely need to re-establish/clean some electrical
connections, and where would I look for these?

While I'm at it, if anyone has a used copy of the Bentley manual covering my
car, I'd be willing to purchase.  The Chilton manual is not very helpful.

Many thanks.

Tom Borden
teborden2@domain.elided

End of bmw-digest V9 #1760