Re: euro intake performance

Paul,

The chip programming was developed two years ago.  The program is maintained
on a PC.  When a system gets ordered, the programming is loaded onto a chip
and shipped along with the intake.  Unless you have the wrong chip, you will
have the correct programming.  You can call TMS or Eurosport (preferred),
and ask them to verify the part number of the chip.  Just to be certain, ask
them for the correct part number on the chip, don't give them your part
number first and ask if it's correct.  This way, you'll force them to look
it up.

Regarding the Bosch platinum plugs....TAKE THEM OUT!!!  Put the recommended
Bosch or NGK plugs back in.  I've yet to find a BMW that recommends using
the Bosch Platinum plugs.  Every platinum plug experience that I've read
about on this Digest has been less than positive.  I'm currently running the
NGK plugs (provided from the dealer), and have no problems.

I don't use a torque wrench when I install plugs, but I know "by feel" how
much to tighten them.  In over 25 years of backyard mechanic work, I've
never broken a plug.

You're also using too much Techron.  Residual amounts of Techron will wash
down the cylinder walls and accumulate in your oil.  You should only use the
Techron additive twice between oil changes.  Which Techron additive do you
use?  There are 3-4 different types.  One (FI cleaner, I think) says it's
safe to use every 1000 miles, while the FI+valve cleaner says to use once
every 3000 miles.  I'm not sure what's different, but I follow the
directions on the bottle.  More isn't necessarily better in this case.

Regarding the performance improvement provided by the intake: one way to
really "feel" the before and after effects of the CAI+Euro HFM+chip is to
drive the car with earplugs.  That way, your driving opinion won't be
influenced by the sound of the intake.  You'll get the "seat of the pants"
feel of additional power.

Check out:

http://www.bonnevillemotorwerks.com/dynocharts/intake/95m3/95m3.pdf

Note that the torque curve is boosted across the entire range.  Also, both
the HP and torque curves really begin to take off at 4500 RPM, on up to
redline.  So, if you really want to feel the difference the intake+HFM+chip
provides, you need to compare it in this RPM range.  Outside (below) that
range, the difference is smaller, and won't be as noticeable.

If you rarely rev your car in the 4500-7000 RPM range, you mis-spent your
money.  For a strong low-end boost, you need forced induction.  There's no
other way to boost the low-end torque and maintain high RPM torque and HP.

- -rb
1995 M3 w/Eurosport CAI, Euro HFM, chip, ZOOM!