E36: Elec. Heater Control Problem

Hoping someone can help me out on this one...

Tonight while driving home, my heater control on my E36 started shutting down
and turning itself on for no reason. All the lights on the control panel would
go out and the fan would quit but a few seconds later, it would turn itself on
again. Could this be caused by some kind of fuse or transistor? This is very
weird...  it did that for about 10 mins then it didn't do it again but I"m
sure it's going to get worse before it gets better.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!