320i sunroof cable replacement

Anyone have a tip on how to complete the installation of new cables for a 78
320i sunroof. Because Bavarian only sent me 1/2 of my cable "set", I was only
able to replace the driver's side cable, which, as luck would have it was not
broken.

The problem I am having is keeping the cable in the channel when the sunroof
is being closed. It wants to pop out of the channel as the roof moves toward
the front of the car to close. I tried to make sure the cable was all the way
in the channel all the way back, but could not tell if this was happening. As
I turned the crank to close, time after time, the cables on both sides kept
popping out of the channels until the roof would not close all the way.

Any helpful hints would be appreciated.

KURT