clutch noise

I have a 1998 m3.  Occasionally the clutch "clicks" when you depress it,
usually near the top of the travel.  It's more something which is felt
through the foot rather than heard.  Otherwise it works fine.  Yesterday
I autocrossed the car, and I noticed at the end of the day that the
problem often occurred on the first change after a run (a gentle change
into first gear).  The autocross was entirely in 2nd gear, so there
wasn't much clutch use involved.  Does anyone have any idea what the
problem might be?  I have still have 2 months warranty on the car, so
I'll take it to a dealer, but I'd like to have some idea what I'm
dealing with.