325 Popping Noise

Howdy all!

Quick question for you E30 experts.....

I have an '88 325 with 135K on it and it's running great except for a
popping noise that seems to be originating from just under the
driver/passenger console.

It's only when first taking off--not at speeds more than 15 to 20 MPH....

It resembles a ball joint type of "pop". Is it the drive shaft? U-Joints?
The transmission is serviced regularly, and seems to be working fine.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.....I'm headed to South Padre next month
with this car, and the last thing I need is to be stranded along the way. :)

Thanks in advance.

Mike Coffer
Columbia, MO