Ticking sound? Is it related to fan blade explosion?

I had the fan fixed by my local BMW dealer.  They could locate no additional
contributing factors, no water pump wobble, no bad motor mounts, etc.  The
lower air dam had been repainted at some point, so they said that the fan
could have been damaged in that accident (no sign of structural problems or
paint work anywhere else on the car).  Seems to working fine now.

Now I have noticed a new bug-a-boo in my 328is - a slight ticking sound just
off idle.  Almost sounds like a little wood pecker tapping away.  This sound
seems to come and go.  It is noticeable from 800 - 1500 rpm.  After that it
it either goes away or is imperceptible due to engine noise.  Any
suggestions?

Original Text from Fan Blade Explosion:

I bought what I thought was a clean used 1996 328is.  I heard a loud sound as
I pulled away from a stop light - a sound like I had just rolled over a big
tin can or something.  I pulled over and realized my fan had been stripped of
blades!  Is this a common problem?  Is this indicative of some bigger
problem?  I cannot detect any other problem.  Any suggestions.  I am lucky
because this car is covered under an extended warranty.  The only other car I
have ever heard of doing this is my Dad's old MGB!

=====
Chris Kauffman
chriskauffman@domain.elided
http://www.bigfoot.com/~chriskauffman