RE: TRX

Omar:
I don't have any tires to offer you, (since my wife won't countenance
investment in new wheels), but can provide some info on TRX
availability.  Michelin has been out of stock in TRX since last fall
according to a couple of tire dealers nearby.  I have e-mailed Michelin
and actually gotten response from a customer service rep.  They confirm
that they have sold some molds to Coker Tire Co., www.coker.com makers
of historic reproduction tires.  The Coker web site confirms that they
will be making and selling these, but acording to rumor this won't be
until later in the spring.  I have not called them, but the site infers
they'll sell you a 200/60HR390 for $129.  They list the V rated, but
state it is out of stock and give no price.  There is some differing
info floating around about whether Coker will only be doing H rated
versions or both.  It would make sense that Michelin would do the V
rated and the knockoffs would be H.

Michelin rep indicates that there is no official commitment to how long
Michelin will retain the policy of irregular periodic production of the
V rated TRX, however to do plan on running a batch.  In December they
told me they would ship some at the end of January.  Now my tire dealer
says they don't expect any to be shipped until sometime in March.
Obviously it is going to get tougher to acquire new TRX tires over time.
You should definitly try to get on a waiting list with your dealer.

Also if you are looking at used TRX tires you should know what I was
told by Michelin about date codes on the tire.  The last 3 numbers after
the DOT mark indicate date:  The first and second digit in the group are
the week of the year, and the third digit is the last digit of the year.
If there is a "less than" triangular mark following that, then it is in
the '90s.  If no triangle then it's from the '80s.   Not sure if they
even made any last year and haven't yet this year, so don't know what
code the new century will be.   They also indicate that their warrantee
does not cover tires more than 6 years old, and of course they don't
recommend using tires more than 6 years old.

Also I'll plug the M535i list as the best source of information on big
six E28s.  You can join the list through the M535I Special Interest
Group & Registry web site:  http://www.m535i.org/

Steve Poland
'88 535is
Portland, OR
(one of those E28 owners who've been on this list since before the flame
wars, don't ask)