Re:Exploding fan blades...

> I bought what I thought was a clean used 1996 328is.  I heard a loud sound as
> I pulled away from a stop light - a sound like I had just rolled over a big
> tin can or something.  I pulled over and realized my fan had been stripped of
> blades!  Is this a common problem?  Is this indicative of some bigger
> problem?  I cannot detect any other problem.  Any suggestions.  I am lucky
> because this car is covered under an extended warranty.  The only other car I
> have ever heard of doing this is my Dad's old MGB!

The big question, is what caused the fan blades to strip off of the hub.  Most likely
one of two things:

misaligned fan shroud
bad water pump

If the water pump has failed to the point of wobbling enought to strip fan blades,
you need to replace it NOW.  If the fan shroud is misaligned, you have to ask
yourself why?  Was the car in an accident? Was the front of the engine disassembled?

Take a hard look up front and let us know...

Phil

89 M3 cabrio
91 318is

www.erols.com/philca/bmw