Re: Uneven Tire Wear - specifically Tramlining w/ZS50's

Interesting about the SZ50 tramlining.

I just recently put 225/60-15 Firestone SZ50 tires on my Firebird
(I figured I'd try them out on my beater/rain car before going to them
on the BMW).  While the size is indeed different from your 215-45-17's
on your BMW, it is still the same tire. I've been running Bridgestone
Potenza RE-71's on my F'bird for many years and _never_ had any
tramlining. In addition the RE-71's were excellent in the rain, specifically
with regard to hydroplaning. The Firestone SZ50's are supposed to be
excellent tires, but so far other than dry traction, I am disappointed with them.

Now my F'bird (w/SZ50's) tramlines quite a bit and is by no means as good
in the rain as it was with my RE71's. My understanding was that the Bridgestone
RE-71's are old tire technology but I sure wish they still made them in
225/60-15 :( . Additionally I won't be putting the SZ50's on my BMW
either.

Regards,

Kim Watters
E34/530i/5-speed/Nikasil/83K miles (still klunking)
    16x8 rims
    225/55/16 Dunlop SP Sport 8000
    Bilstein Sport Shocks
    Eibach Pro Springs
'85 Pontiac Firebird V6/5-speed/214K miles
    225/60-15 Firestone SZ50
    Monroe Formula Racing struts/shocks