325 E30 electric fans

Anybody have the skinny on the electric radiator fans on E 30s.  I have an
88 Is and an 89 i and both fans are locked solid.  I cannot move them
manually.  I have not removed them yet because I want to know what I am up
against.   Do these things freeze up after time or what.  Is there any sense
to try and rework it or is there an inexpensive replacement.

I would like to get these working and put in a manual switch as we do some
autocrossing and I would like to get some extra cooling when sitting in
line.

Thanks

pkogan@domain.elided