Re: JL Stealthbox Opinions

The need for rear speakers...for "rear fill"...is always a hotly debated
topic.

My opinion - and experience - is that there is NO need for rear fill
speakers.  The soundstage should be in front of you, just as in any other
environment.  When was the last time you listened to your home stereo, or
attended a concert, and sat with your BACK to the stereo or stage?

For a home theater application, where Dolby Digital contains separate
programming information for rear speakers, there is a requirement to have
rear speakers for "fill" and to give a three-dimensional quality to the
soundtrack.  For audio applications, where many input channels are mixed
down to a left and right channel (for a stereo image), there is no need for
rear speakers.  There is left-right imaging information contained in the
recording, but no front-rear imaging information.  Therefore, you won't be
killing any 'imaging' of the sound by not having rear speakers.

Go to an IASCA competition and check out the variety of systems that people
put in their cars, and you'll find the biggest focus on front speakers to
accurately re-create a FRONT soundstage.

- -rb

>Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 22:16:04 -0500
>From: "Ron H." <rhakim@domain.elided>
>Subject: Re: JL Stealthbox Opinions