RE: all revved up

On Sun, 28 Jan 2001, at 09:09:14 -0700, Joe D'Onofrio wrote:

>My '72 2002 is lately revving at about 3000 to 4000 rpm even at
start-up.  It
>seems like something is stuck open, maybe the throttle on the
carburetor.  Do
>I simply need to adjust the stop screw or is there a bigger problem?

Check the choke for proper operation. Check the throttle linkage for
binding. Like just about everything mechanical, it needs periodic
cleaning and lubrication.

>Also, my gearshift rattles, especially in first and third gear.  Could
the
>linkage simply be loose?  Haven't tried anything yet.

The shift linkage platform is attached to the rear of the transmission
with rubber vibration mounts. When the rubber goes, the vibration comes.
If you don't know when these mounts were changed, it's probably time.

Bob Kegel
'70 2002
'85 635 CSi
BMW CCA #135175