Radar Detector Tests

Hold on a minute folks!  Before you go believing what you see published in
one of the mass market car books, do yourself a favor & go back & count the
pages of advertising done by each of the "rated" companies.  Not to say that
ALL tests like this are bogus, but I know for a fact that a friend who
worked for a car company was offered top prize one year for 5 more pages of
advertising.

Doubt that?  Go back and look at old issues.  Some of the "Annual Best" cars
were in reality the worst bombs of the year.

And, having worked for one of the car books of the ad side, I saw the
pressures that were brought to bare on editors.

BTW, don't think this only applies to car books.  Anyone out there remember
the Wall Street Journal expose a few years ago on the "home decor" mags?  A
Hachette title had corporate PR departments writing articles that then
appeared under staff editor bylines.  Bet there was a lot of honest
reporting there.  Yeah, right!  And, another only mentioned product brands
in photo captions IF the company was an advertiser.

My advice is to stick to the recommendations of members of lists like this.

Norm Sippel
'73 3.0 CS

End of bmw-digest V9 #1704