Re: <E36> Profile gasket issues for M42 motor.

Anup,

You can have the car tested for compression leaks at cold and hot
temperatures, and they can also perform a leakdown test, where they
pressurize the cylinders and see if the pressure leaks out...usually
overnight.

However, this won't always catch a leaking head gasket problem.

Your best bet, and one that's relatively cheap to do (around $20) is to send
an oil sample in for analysis.  They will be able to determine how much (if
any) coolant is in your oil.

There are many oil analysis labs out there (do an Internet search on Oil
Analysis), but I've used Blackstone Labs:

www.blackstone-labs.com/

and have been happy with them.  Give them a call (check out the URL) and
you'll find out how to draw a sample and send it in for analysis.

Seeing a milky substance on your dip stick isn't necessarily a sign of a
leaking head gasket.  It could just be condensation in the engine. With
colder atmospheric temperatures, you'll tend to accumulate more condensation
when the engine cools off, as the cooler air can't hold as much moisture.
Also, lots of short trips (under 5 miles) will tend to not allow the engine
oil to reach operating temperature, so the condensation will never have a
chance to completely evaporate, and will accumulate in the engine.

- -rb