RE: LSD in e30

Alex wrote:
>Janis Ziemelis [mailto:janisz@domain.elided] wrote:
>>
>> Can anyone tell me, which E30 models have LSD difs by default?
>
>Janis,
>An M3 certainly does ;-), other then that it is market dependent. In
North
>America, all 's' (is/es) models came with LSD while it was an option
for
>'i'/'e' models.

Not quite...the 318is (90/91) did not come with the LSD, unless you got
the winter/towing package.
It's a common misconception about these cars, along with other popular,
and incorrect thoughts, such as, they all came prewired for the CD
changer, have Recaro seats, were offered with OBC and/or leather. All
are myths.

>There are at least three ways to find on a particular car:
>- - lift both rear wheels and spin one. If the other spins in the same
>direction, you've got LSD. If the other wheel spins in the opposite
>direction, you've got an open differential.
>- - clean the dirt off the rear differential's part number. If there is
an 'S'
>stamped into the part number, it is a LSD.
>- - go to a nearby BMW dealer with the VIN and have them print out the
list of
>options for that particular car.

Option #1 is the best.
The tab mentioned in option #2 is often rusted beyond recognition, at
least up here in the northern states (mine is). Alex doesn't have that
rust problem in the south, so it would work for him.

Used LSD diffs tend to run $400+.
- --
Neil Hitze
'91 318is <-no LSD...yet