RE: E30 speedometer woes

I had a similar problem when I bought my '85 318i: speedo did not work,
service lights were crazy and the temperature gauge was dead. I solved the
problem changing the batteries and resoldering all the solder points in the
circuits; everything works perfect now. Apparently cold solder that degrades
with age is a big problem in these circuits, as I have very much the same
situation, minus the speedometer issue, in a '85 535i I bought more
recently.

David Morales
Nashville, TN