RE: door lock inop.

Dan Medved's driver door unlock function is non-functional.
Dan, before you start buying new actuator or crash switch (very
expensive), it may pay to spend some time with a digital meter checking
for continuity and low current availability.  If your E34 is similar the
my E28, I'd start at the actuator and test for current availability on
the forward key turn.  If the current isn't up around 12 volts it could
be that a corroded connection upstream is reducing power below where it
needs to be for actuation.  Follow the wires forward in the door, there
may be another plug connecter midway to toward the front.  Clean the
contacts.  Then look behind the A-pillar speaker.  on the E28 there is a
major multi-connector there.  I found that there were 4 prongs corroded.
Replaced the (male and female side) with new ones from an electronics
store, and suddenly there was no more haphazard lock function, and my
window motor went to full power.
Steve Poland
'88 535is
Portland, OR