Broken Spark Plugs

I was having a problem starting my 1990 325i.  After trying several things
I looked at one of the spark plugs, based on advice from a friend, and it
is pretty heavily coated with carbon deposits.  Based on that I decided to
remove the other plugs and replace them with new ones.

I am visiting my mother near Detroit, Michigan and all my tools and manuals
are back home in Lexington, Kentucky.  I removed the first plug just fine
with the spark plug tool that comes in the tool kit in the trunk.  When
I tried to remove the second plug, however, it snapped off with the nut
and ceramic part in the spark plug wrench and the threaded part still
stuck in the engine.

I am trying to remove the base of the plug from the engine with a "screw
extractor" tool, however, I have not had much luck so far.

When trying to remove a third plug with a regular spark plug socket
connected to a ratchet the spark plug broke the same way as the
second plug.  How common is it for spark plugs to break like this?
These are Bosch W8LPR plugs.  The temperature in my Mom's garage is
about 25F.  Could that be causing problems?

Does anyone have any suggestions for removing the broken part of the plugs
or even the remaining unbroken ones?  I am afraid to try removing an more
for fear the might break off the same way as the others.  The screw extractor
I have does not seem to be getting enough bite to turn the plug.  It just
seems to be making little metal shavings, some of which I expect are falling
down into the cylinder :-(  (Any ideas what to do about that?)

Does anyone know of a repuatable shop near Rochester Hills, MI where I can
have my car towed and fixed if I cannot fix the problem myself?  My Mom
has a good mechanic, but I don't think he sees many BMW's...

Thanks,
Bill Dieter.
dieter@domain.elided