Weird E24 heating problem

My '83 635CSi has developed a heating problem:
The heating only works when idling.

I just bought the car (had not been used for a while),
so I don't know how (or when) it started.

I've tried to unplug the leads to the heating valve
(Should in theory leave the valve open if I'm not mistaken), but the heating
problem is unchanged.
The water temperature is normal (new thermostat), and the heating
knob is set to maximum (fixed, because the linkage is broken between
the knob and the box behind).

It would be great if someone had a tip regarding the diagnosis,
because to me, this seems a bit illogical...

- --
OleF

End of bmw-digest V9 #1681