DME Analyzer socket affects engine performance

My '93 E36 318is (M42) exhibits some strange symptoms periodically:  very
poor responsiveness below 2500rpm (almost like a dead spot in the
throttle),
a momentary dip in idle speed every 10-15 seconds, a ripple in the whole
electrical system (regardless of rpm, noticeably flickering lights), and
uneven performance in general.

These problems can be temporarily fixed by removing the analyzer socket
plug/'dust cover' and doing anything to disturb the electrical socket
contacts inside.  The problem will generally return after 4-10 days of
driving around (on smooth roads).

Two replacement alternators from BMW have not solved the problem.  After 10
months I think I've eliminated other possible fuel/electrical causes.  BMW
Australia apparently has one instance on technical archives relating rough
running to a analyzer cap/socket, but details are hazy.

Has anybody had similar experiences?  Or can anyone please enlighten me as
to the function of the plug, why it has four pins which make electrical
contact with four sockets and any other suggestions so I can target which
bits to replace?

Merry Xmas and best regards from Australia,

Stuart Buckland
E36 318is coupe '93